Monday, January 30, 2012

Day 21: Venice

Day 21: Venice...
Venice: Kristen's views...leading into day 2...
So happy. Delighted at every turn.
Trying to contain it...Jessica Montgomery is the one I think of most for enjoying this...
So in my journey and first few hours in Venice, these are a few new friend profiles:

1. In the airport in London as we waited in line for our first "ryanair" flight, we met the nicest couple from New Zealand. They have a little girl Sophie. He plays rugby based out of treviso. He gave us travel tips, and shared how he met his wife in university. They are a beautiful family. We shared a mormon.org card with them. As were exiting the plane, they were still seated near the door, and he exclaimed: "welcome to Italy!" we couldn't have asked for a better welcome. We love them. What a beautiful family.

2.We find our bus outside the airport in Treviso, Italy. our bus driver has tousled brown hair and a wide warm smile. "Bonjourno!" I said. "Bonjourno Bella!" he responds grinning from ear to ear. oooooh I love this. Then when I asked to confirm if this bus was going to piazelle Roma, he said "maybe..." and grazed my cheek with his fist, in jest and play. I made a friend! Oh, i adore these people already.

3. At dinner, I made another friend. I went up to get change, and the sweet Italian chef behind the counter motioned to arm wrestle me. Then he backed off as though he was kidding, so I gave the go-ahead: "oh come on! Let's go!" so we did. Well, he wasn't trying... Doesn't he know I eat my spinach? When I asked why, he said: "oh, you are too strong..." as he reached out and checked my arm muscle, he knew he was right: "ci, too strong."

Oh I love Italy already.

Day 2: our first morning in Venice.
Our sweet host of the delightful casa we are staying in gently knocked on our door to remind us about Breakfast. Toast and refreshing juice. We already love Marciella.

Time to Explore!! As we walk down the quaint and numerous alleys, Smells of fresh pastries tempt me from just down the lane...aah there it is. Pastries fill the window. Ooooooh so I had a frittelle with Creme....amazing. And I loved that I smelled it first. I followed my nose.

Time for St marks basilica. Gorgeous. Inspiring. Unique. 100% Mosaic.

Love all the Venetian masks...and art galleries and artisans..

Story:
I tried to get money out of the ATM. No luck. My bank is Like an overprotective parent: "now don't spend it all in one place..." I know! Just let me have it! So I settled on trying later at another ATM. Moments later, we reach the grand canal, and for the FIRST time I find a pier that is not roped off - I cant even stop myself from running out to get to the edge... I reach for my camera, pull it out, and as I do: "what was that?" adrien exclaims that she saw something fly out of my pocket and into the water. It was my freshly rejected debit card. Well surely it will float, right? The banana peel, pen, ttand wrapper we see are floating... Wrong. It CUT into the cold canal abyss and was long gone. The financial heart of my ocean. Farewell, Jack. I hope you took notice of the irony and timing of all of the details in this story. It seems like it was meant to be...I will keep you posted.

So with 20 euros in my pocket, i am glad we found a ma and pa lunch cafe. I had a delicious yet cheap calzone pita: ham mushrooms and mozzarella...warm and wonderful dough.... Thank you.

Things we learned the rest of the day:
1. Italian hot chocolate: a chocolate bar that has been melted. HOT CHOCOLATE. Enough said.
2. I struggled after I lost my card: it somehow brought to the surface little things that bother me... So I became quiet...No money...but then I realized that Shanti and Adrien were there and willing to help me...I wouldn't become an Italian gypsy hobo...unless I wanted to (perhaps one day... :). I am grateful for them.
3. Sometimes when you quiet down, you can listen and observe more. I became more sensitive...
Tears fell when a sweet man stopped on his own accord to help us find our way, and even switched to his reading glasses so that he could read our map. Tender Italian grandpa. I am touched and moved deeply by the simplest acts of humanity and kindness.
4. Gelato makes the world sweeter...and my happy-capacity. :) I had my first gelato in Italy: pistachio. Mmm... And before dinner. Naturally.

I love Venice. It is a maze... A mystery... Canal entrances at every turn...bridges into nooks and crannies, paths and pursuits of beauty and pastries. We are in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment