Thursday, January 26, 2012

day 2 with anna...tbfinished..

 6:45 am came too early. Anna and I wanted to grab the breakfast provided by the hostel (toast with jam/honey and milk :) and have enough time to walk to Westminster Abbey for the boys' choir rehearsal at 8:15. Yes, we were crazy enough to walk everywhere again today. Bless our feet.

We were only 10 minutes late...but for naught. These rehearsals are in fact not open to the public. To say we were disappointed was an understatement. We had speed walked a solid 40 minutes and woken up far too early to have this journey be in vain. Yes we had this cool view of Big Ben on our way, and met lovely English men who pointed us along the right path (one even looked back once to make sure we saw the right street before he rounded a corner...there's a good brother's keeper if I ever saw one!), but it still seemed like a fluff trip...

We decided to add to the fluff, and take a few pictures of us on the bridge with this view in the background. Two lovely Phillipino women asked us to take their pictures. We exchanged photographers, and thought that would be the end, as it usually is. Not today, Watson, as these women asked us where we were from, and what we were doing...this was just the beginning. It turns out they now live in Austria, working as nurses.

Anna's husband served his LDS mission in the Phillippines and as Anna was sharing this connection I pulled out a Book of Mormon pass-a-long card, and she connected the dots to his mission, we testified of the book as another witness of Jesus Christ, and as we were doing so, sweet Belen grabbed Anna's face and kissed her cheek, her eye :), and pulled her close and embraced her with all the love she had to share...which was a lot, so the ended up squeezing Anna...I worried for her ability to breathe...she made it through. "Oh! Praise the Lord! You are Christian! I am Christian! We are Christian! Praise the Lord!" Belen said over and over. Tears threatened my cheeks below, as I felt the love that was pouring out of this woman who clearly knew her Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. And heaven help me, I got the same loving anaconda squeeze when she found out I was a Christian too. Gina was expressing love and excitement as well. We all rejoiced in our united faith, and both Gina and Belen begged us to come visit them in Austria. Perhaps I will...Shanti? Let's talk...

Hugs all around, we once more expressed love and gratitude for these new or renewed friends, and assured each other that we would be in touch. As Anna and I continued our walk across the bridge, the smiles on our faces were uncontrollably large and sincere. We had found our purpose in that early morning arise and walk. The Lord knew exactly what He was doing. I am so grateful for how He brings His children closer together, so that they can help each other come closer to Him. What a sweet experience. These experiences are what I will remember most about this trip. Sorry, Big Ben, I will try to remember you as well.

Off to the National Theatre, to get me a ticket to a show for tonight. I got a £12 ticket for the 2nd preview of "She Stoops to Conquer." I dream of working at this theatre as an actress and director one day. I figured I should see one of their shows.






Just around the corner, the TATE MODERN museum.


(This work "Venus and rags" seems quite symbolic of what I have been experiencing in London: the incredible juxtaposition of the classical and beautifully artistic ancient with the modern fast paced flair for convenience and technology. I love it.)








I love this red theatre. I would love to create this space and perform small scale theatrical pieces in it.
                                                   







This is a larger than life pile of sunflower seeds.


 Ai Weiwei is a man who uses his art to fight for rights for his people, to serve, to change the world. One seed at a time. He has sacrificed greatly to do so. This is how I hope to use my art and my gifts and talents  throughout my life.














The Tate Modern had a lot of inspiring creativity and messages to share with their contemporary art pieces, but also some that was offensive and just there to push the envelope. It really opened my eyes to the possibilities and how no matter what art form or career we choose to pursue, there is light and dark. We choose. I choose light.












We left the Tate, and walked around the corner to catch a glimpse of the hibernating Globe theatre. I am excited to see a show there one day.

SPEED WALK: back to Westminster, to catch the 12:30 worship communion service. While we were in a hurry, we weren't walking fast enough to miss what the crowd was gathered for to our left. HULK HOGAN, ladies and gentleman. There you have it. Good to see the famed fighter getting a nice meal in London.



We made it to the service. It was beautiful. Westminster abbey is stunning. We weren't allowed to "tour" the abbey without paying, but I preferred our "service" experience of the abbey. Being with people and learning and finding inspiration with them is the best way to be a tourist, and is how Shanti and I plan on being our whole trip. Anna and I also got to learn quite a bit from the layman and the priest who performed the service. Unexpectedly, we found a gorgeous tribute to Franklin Delano Roosevelt as a "friend to Britain" and to his 4 terms as U.S. president. What an honor.



FOOD! Our feet were tired, and we needed sustenance. We left the service in search for FISH & CHIPS. Neither of us had as yet officially eaten the most classic of English dishes. We passed by a few pub offers along the way...and then found one off the path down an alley in a quaint and classy restaurant. Good choice. This FISH and chips exceeded my expectations. So much joy at this lunch table. Anna and I are considering opening a "British pub" in Provo. Everyone would of course speak in British accents.

One more museum. BRITISH MUSEUM. 

"you probably know what i'm about to say..."
"no i don#t. well probably something about faith, and miracles and stuff...."

No comments:

Post a Comment