Friday, January 20, 2012

Day 11 Part I: Reflections in Bournemouth

Such an interesting day today...very simple but full of learning. We had to go out on the town today to get some shopping done before the wedding. None of it ended up getting done but we learned a lot along the way.

I woke up feeling quite congested today and wasn't feeling very chipper. It's interesting how such a little thing could have such an influence on the entire day. I have known for awhile now that this trip will be a defining moment in my life. Knowing this I have made a goal to try to break my bad habits and serve as much as possible along the way. Unfortunately one of these bad habits is my being horribly selfish when it comes to my comfort. This in effect seems to affect all my other bad habits. So today was a day for testing my desires to mold my will. I was tired, sick, and desperately hungry and yet fighting with all my heart to be positive. Much to my chagrin I began to fail miserably.

Ever so quickly...I could feel my spirits dwindle as my blood sugar dropped. Usually this is a deadly combo for all involved but I felt a distant voice say amongst my inner comotion, "Sit down and be still." As the hustle and bustle continued on around me in the busy Bournmouth streets, amongst out little group, and in my own head; I found a little spot of brick and had a seat. Time seemed to stand still for a moment as the busyness in my mind of worldly frustration began to calm and I was able to take in my surroundings.

Quickly, my ear caught the sound of a man calling out "Charly!! Charly!!!" and this particular Charly came in the form of a tattered little Jack Russell. The man went into a very busy Pharmacy, and before disappearing he said to his faithful friend, "Now don't go getting into trouble Charly" I then observed that this trusty dog proceeded to "mark his territory" on both entrance posts to the Pharmacy. He then began dutifully patrolling the front of the shop keeping watch on the door. He would walk back and forth, take a peek inside as the doors opened with busy customers and then sit patiently by the entrance. He never wandered beyond his marked posts and keep strict watch of his surroundings. Each time the door would slide open he would stand at attention inspect the outgoing patrons with a quick sniff and then resume his march back and forth between posts simply to plant himself faithfully at his waiting post once again. I watched this loyal pattern for a few moments and let the scene flood over me.

Silly as it may seem, this little pup was a powerful reminder to me of the the constant companionship of the Spirit. In my effort to over come my bad habits with my fortified selfish will, I tend to forget this faithful friend  of the Spirit that can bring all things to our remembrance. As I sat there taking a moment to listen, this little animal taught me of the constant loyalty that can be between my Father and I if I but trust his messenger. Father is always close, always standing watch, always waiting. He is our protector, He knows our will, our desires and our needs. His eyes see all things and can perceive what we cannot.

I was fortified and renewed by this little dog today, and my heart was softened and my burdens lightened as I remembered my dear friend, and my loving Father that provided such a constant source of strength and protection.

As we continued our journey, my Spirits were light and Kristen and I found joy in every turn. We soaked in every smell, every taste, every sight, and every experience. It was a powerful thing to switch on a little gratitude and receive so much light in return.

It seems Father was mindful of our experience and sent a little more love our way with a lovely walk by the sea. My heart was full as I soaked in the ocean air and waves...and once again time stood still over the wide expanse of ocean before me. It was bigger than me, and it felt as though it was Father's way of physically displaying the eternal perspective before my eyes. The ocean has always been a special place for me that clears my mind and renews my convictions. Today was no different. As I stood looking at the sunset over the water...I could feel a comfort of remembrance and safety.


My thoughts turned to my mother and the influence she has had for good on so many lives. And my conviction to do good was renewed. I want to serve, I want to love, I want to give all I can to make this life a little better, a little happier and a little brighter for all of us that are so blessed to be here. We do not realize how blessed we are to have the safety and comfort of the gospel. This is the greatest gift and the one that desperately needs to be shared. It is light and truth in a world of ever increasing darkness. I only hope that we can find our own way to shine our light as brightly as possible so that others may feel of the love and comfort that is so freely given by our Savior. So let's recommit...and take some time to be still and listen. Where does HE need YOU today?

No comments:

Post a Comment