Saturday, January 21, 2012

Day 12: British babies.

Charly let us sleep in. Again. I actually kept waking up thinking we had missed her birthday lunch, because she is too nice and wouldn't wake us up in time...ok, she confirmed to me she's not THAT nice :)...so she made sure by 11:30 we were up, ready to go out by noon.
Lunch with the girls at WAGAMAMAs. Delicious. I had pan-fried soba noodles with green onions, egg, red and green bell peppers, sesame seeds, and mushrooms. I also tried Elderberry sparkling water. Lovely.

Also, remember how Shanti and I got money out of the bank in Scotland, and now everyone in England gives us a hard time when they see our Scottish money.
I love Scotland. I love England.


Esther, Charly's maid of honor, has a 3 year old munchkin, named Nicco. His favorite colors are blue and red. He wore a h at with Lightning McQueen on it, socks with TowMater, a green Toy STory t-rex sweatshirt, and showed me his Buzz
lightyear impression. We bonded in the car. Especially when he corrected my American naivety with certain British words.

"How did you get that hole in your pants?"
(for me, pants = jeans...)
"They are not pants, they are TROUSERS," Nicco says in his
perfect English accent, with the inflections and emphases that imply his maturity and show the way he feels he must teach this silly American, the ways of the English world.

DINOSAUR ! This dinosaur seated next to me decided we should play: "capture the hand."









It is amazing how ALIVE your creativity is when you are with children. It shakes off any dust that has gath ered, and does a dance in your mind, yoga for your soul, and "letting go" therapy for your heart. ROCK ON, LEFT BRAIN!

My inner child did not get a nap today. Charly and I left Shanti at home to be a responsible adult and get her masters' applications finished (she amazes me with her drive and diligence...inspiring....), and went to her aunt's house to decorate and prep for a surprise birthday party. Our first job? IMAGINATION DUTY. Requirements? Energy. Endurance. Laughter. Should've worn my sweatband and tennies.

Here's Charly and the girls' fort/sailboat/hiding place.

These British beauties are Amelie, Ariana, and Skye. I LOVE THEM. P.S. I want to have English-accented children one day. Do you think if I speak in an english accent at home, they will develop one? Brilliant. They are so delightful. I felt loved. Even when their parents and aunts and uncles and grandmas highlighted and made fun of the "token American" all night. Haha, I embraced every second of it. I know I give it to my "Brits" when they are in the states, and I knew I should expect nothing less.

I loved "see kristen do" hour as they tested my British accents..."say this! in a cockney! can you do liverpool? why do all americans love the posh accent!?" Don't worry, I got to hear a little American accent out of them. And we even got the helium balloons involved...even my outer adult loved that...

They also used my nationality as an excuse: "Oh, she's American." or as the scapegoat: "It was the American..." Love it.

We missed Shanti this evening. But I know she will support and "amen" these next few statements: We love these sweet people. We love Charly's family and friends with all our hearts. We are so grateful to have been welcomed in without question or expectation. (I even was able to answer a number of questions correctly about Auntie Jeanette whose birthday we were celebrating, due to my attendance at both of her birthday shindigs this week!) We are the recipients of beautiful humanity. Of the human FAMILY. On the way home from the party, Micheal even decided to buy the American 2 different English brands of chocolate so that I could really know how amazing it is.

What a splendid evening.

P.S. I skyped for the first time this evening with my sister. I love her. We laughed...caught up...and found amusement in seeing our own faces as we conversed, and made good use of that capability...I am grateful for my family back home...and yes, I still love the United States of America. And I am sad that now that it is finally snowing, I can't snowboard in it...but I will take England as a fair compromise. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment